I selected this recipe from my 4H curriculum book, Bag of Tricks. This book teaches how to cook small meals and treats in the microwave. I never had fudge before, this was my chance to make my own. Plus my sweet tooth loves dessert, it was calling out, and I decided to listen to it.
To prepare: I greased the bottom and sides of a baking pan with butter. I did not have a sifter at the time, so I poured the powdered sugar and cocoa each into their own separate bowl, working out the large lumps with a fork.
Next, I melted a 1/2 cup of butter in a 2-quart microwavable bowl; added powdered sugar, cocoa mixture, and evaporated milk. Then I cooked the mixture on high for 2 minutes until it became thin. Finally, my favorite part: added vanilla and nuts; Poured mixture into pan; Chilled fudge in refrigerator until it was firm. CUT. EAT. YUM!!! Next time I will add mint flavoring!
I shared my fudge with my 4H group members and their parents, and they loved it!!!
One thing I learned, you cannot let homemade fudge sit out at room temperature.
The Fabulous Fudge Recipe
1. Prepare and 8” x 8” x 2” baking pan by greasing the bottom and sides with butter.
2. Optional: If you have a sifter, sift the powdered sugar and cocoa. If you do not have a sifter, pour them each into separate bowls and gently work out all large lumps with a fork or spoon. Set bowls aside.
3. Put the 1/2 cup butter in a 2-quart microwavable bowl and heat on medium (50%-Number Pad, #5) for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 minutes or until melted.
4. Add powdered sugar and cocoa mixture, and evaporated milk.
5. Cook on high (100%) for 2 minutes or until warm and mixture becomes thin. Half way through the cooking time, stop microwave to stir and rotate dish.
6. Add vanilla chopped nuts. Stir until well mixed.
7. Pour mixture into buttered baking pan. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to spread mixture until it is even.
8. Chill in the refrigerator until it becomes firm. Then cut into squares.
Source: Bag of Tricks, 4H curriculum.
Characteristics of Award-Winning Fudge • Shiny surface • Not sticky • Creamy and smooth texture • Is not grainy • Moist • Well blended (no lumps) • Nuts are finely chopped Source :Bag of Tricks, 4H curriculum.