1 head of cauliflower
3 large stalks of broccoli
2 large carrots
1 medium zucchini
2 stalks of celery
1 green pepper
1 small bunch of radishes
1/4 lb. of mushroom caps
1 basket of cherry tomatoes
1 bottle of Italian dressing (8 oz.)
- Separate cauliflower into florets.
- Peel the broccoli stalks with a vegetable peeler, and cut into bite-size pieces. Separate florets into bite-size pieces. Peel the carrots, slice carrots, unpeeled zucchini, and celery into finger-size pieces.
- Cut green pepper into wedges and remove seeds.
- Trim ends of radishes. Wipe the mushrooms (and trim ends of stalks in there are any).
- Place all the vegetables in a plastic container and pour dressing over them. Place a tight-fitting lid on container and store vegetables in refrigerator overnight. Turn container upside-down occasionally during this marinating period to distribute the dressing evenly.
- Drain vegetables before placing in a salad bowl to serve.
**You may substitute 1 can of button mushrooms, drained, if you can’t get fresh.
1 or 2 bunches fresh spinach
1/2 can bean sprouts or equivalent fresh bean sprouts
1 small can water chestnuts, sliced
2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
1/4 lb. bacon, fried and diced
1 c. oil
1/4 c. wine vinegar
1 Tbsp. Worcester sauce
1 Tbsp. salt
1/3 c. ketchup
1 Tbsp. minced onion
1/2 c. sugar
Wash and cut up spinach. Add all other ingredients and toss well. Shake dressing thoroughly and add to salad. Salad should be mixed right before serving.
Apple, Cranberry & Gorgonzola Salad and
It’s summer time! Here are two fun recipes for your next family gathering or cook out!
Apple, Cranberry & Gorgonzola Salad
2 Large Fuji apples, cored and roughly chopped ( I used Green apples)
1 Medium cucumber, peeled and roughly cut
1/2 cup walnuts, halved
1 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup cream cheese
2 tablespoons milk (I used Almond Milk)
pinch of salt
pinch of black pepper
1 Large cucumber, thinly sliced horizontally
Place the apples in a food processor and blend until chopped. Remove the apples and place in a mixing bowl. Place the cucumber and walnuts in the food processor.
Blend for a few seconds until roughly chopped. Remove and add to the apples. Add the dried cranberries and toss. Set aside.
Place the Gorgonzola cheese, sour cream, creme cheese, milk, salt and pepper in the food processor. Blend until mostly smooth. Remove and set aside.
To serve, form the long slices of cucumber into circular shapes and use a wooden pick to secure. Place each on a salad plate. Fill the cucumber cups with the apple,
cucumber mixture and top each salad with the Gorgonzola salad dressing.
Serves 4 (We had a lot left over.)
5 cups 1/2- inch cubes seeded Watermelon ( I used 3 cups, and that is a lot.)
1 cup orange juice, chilled
1 (6 ounce) can frozen limeade or lemonade concentrate, undiluted
Arrange the watermelon in a single layer on a baking sheet; freeze it for 45 minutes to an hour or until semi frozen
(I did not freeze the watermelon, I used 3 cups of ice.)
Combine the watermelon, orange juice, and limeade into blender and process until smooth. Spoon the slush into cups and serve with a straw, or cover and freeze for
Serves 4 to 6.
Source Recipe #1: Ninja1100 Recipe Book
Source Recipe #2: Family Fun Magazine